E-Bike users range in age from age 22 to 80 years and up. They are serious commuters determined to save on auto expenses or reduce their carbon footprint. They are leisure riders who love to bike, but hate the hills. Many use e-bikes to keep up with their significant other, for hunting, or travel with it on their RVs or boats.
Prices range from $600-$8000. Only $2000-3000 gets you a really good bike. I recommend a minimum 350 watt motor and a 36 volt 10amp lithium battery. Most people want a throttle, pedal assist and 25-40 miles range with speeds around 20 MPH.
E-bikes weigh around 50lbs, including the battery. There is no getting away from the weight, unless you get into exotic materials which increase the cost to $6-8,000. The preferred battery placement is to incorporate it into the frame near the center of gravity. A rack mount might be ok, but it needs to look like it is part of the bike. Most leisure riders don’t want a lot of gears. Younger commuters want their e-bikes to look as close to their road bike as possible and weight is extremely important. Disc brakes are common and many models now have hydraulic disc brakes.
5 Pitfalls to avoid when purchasing an electric bike.
1. I would never recommend purchasing an electric bike on-line. If you must, make sure the on-line website gives information about the owner/manager of the business and provides an easy way to contact them. If you have a hard time finding a contact number, stay away from that site.
2. If the ad says “cheap electric bike”, it is. Be prepared to throw it away if something goes wrong.
3. Be careful about buying an e-bike directly from China, it could be a nightmare trying to make a warranty claim.
4. Never purchase an e-bike before taking a test ride. This can be a huge mistake. Bikes come in many different sizes and shapes. There is no “one fits all” model. It is very important that your e-bike is comfortable and has enough power and range to do what you need.
5. Whenever possible, purchase your electric bike from a local reputable dealer specializing in e-bikes. They will have the knowledge to fit you with the electric bike that best suits your needs, will answer your questions in an informed manner, and will be available for warranty issues and tune-ups. Never underestimate the value of an excellent dealer!an e-bike directly from China, it will be a nightmare trying to make a warranty claim.
Shop by Keywords Above or by Categories Below.
|CLEANING PRODUCTS||CLOTHING||COMPUTER PRODUCTS|
|ECO KIDS||ECO TRAVEL||EDUCATION|
|ENERGY CONSERVATION||ENERGY EFFICIENT HOMES||ENGINEERING|
|NATURAL PEST CONTROL||NEW AGE||OFFICE|
|PROMOTIONAL RESOURCES||RECYCLED||SAFE ENVIRONMENTS|
|WHOLESALE||WOOD||HOW TO ADVERTISE|
|* * * IN-HOUSE RESOURCES * * *|
|WHAT'S NEW||ACTIVISM ALERTS||DAILY ECO NEWS|
|LOCAL RESOURCES DATABASE||ASK THE EXPERTS||ECO CHAT|
|ECO FORUMS||ARTICLES||ECO QUOTES|
|INTERVIEWS & SPEECHES||NON-PROFIT GROUPS||ECO LINKS|
|KIDS LINKS||RENEWABLE ENERGY||GOVERNMENT/EDUCATION|
|VEGGIE RESTAURANTS||ECO AUDIO/VIDEO||EVENTS|
|COMMUNICATIONS||WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING||ACCOLADES|