CARBON CALCULATOR Average Usage weight Home Heating 4 tons Home Electricity 8 tons Hybrid Car 3 tons Medium Car 6 tons Truck/SUV 8 tons Home Heating/Electricity 12 tons
Conserving energy reduces CO2 emissions, helps reduce our reliance on foreign oil ó and saves you money.
Saving energy at home:
- Clean furnace, air conditioner and heat pump filters.
- Schedule an energy audit for your home by calling your electric company.
- Use energy saving settings on appliances.
- Clean dryer lint filter after each load.
- Keep drapes and shades closed at night in winter and during the day in summer.
- Clean refrigerator coil.
- Do laundry and other energy intensive chores during off-peak hours (at night and on weekends).
- Put an insulating blanket on your hot water heater.
- Purchase clean energy where available (where not available, call your utility company and demand it).
- Install window film to reduce heat loss/ gain.
- Caulk or weather-strip doors and windows.
- Seal heating ducts.
- Install a programmable thermostat. The same results can be achieved by adjusting the thermostat by hand, but the programmable thermostat can adjust temperature automatically based on the hours that you are typically home or away.
- Replace aging (10 or more years old) and inefficient appliances with high-efficiency "Energy Star" labeled models. For a dishwasher this can save 154 kWh/year, for a refrigerator, the savings can be 353 kWh/year, and for a washing machine, the savings can be up to 538 kWh/year.
- Upgrade leaky windows.
- Improve your entire home's insulation.
- Replace furnace with more efficient model.
- Purchase solar panels and solar water heating system.
- Use passive solar design in building a new home.
- Purchase micro wind turbines.
Note: Most states have tax credits and other financial incentives for many of these energy saving investments.
Shop by Keywords Above or by Categories Below.
|CLEANING PRODUCTS||CLOTHING||COMPUTER PRODUCTS|
|ECO KIDS||ECO TRAVEL||EDUCATION|
|ENERGY CONSERVATION||ENERGY EFFICIENT HOMES||ENGINEERING|
|NATURAL PEST CONTROL||NEW AGE||OFFICE|
|PROMOTIONAL RESOURCES||RECYCLED||SAFE ENVIRONMENTS|
|WHOLESALE||WOOD||HOW TO ADVERTISE|
|* * * IN-HOUSE RESOURCES * * *|
|WHAT'S NEW||ACTIVISM ALERTS||DAILY ECO NEWS|
|LOCAL RESOURCES DATABASE||ASK THE EXPERTS||ECO CHAT|
|ECO FORUMS||ARTICLES||ECO QUOTES|
|INTERVIEWS & SPEECHES||NON-PROFIT GROUPS||ECO LINKS|
|KIDS LINKS||RENEWABLE ENERGY||GOVERNMENT/EDUCATION|
|VEGGIE RESTAURANTS||ECO AUDIO/VIDEO||EVENTS|
|COMMUNICATIONS||WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING||ACCOLADES|