This holiday season; consider giving a gift to friends, family and co-workers that will last the whole year through... plants!
Among your many options:
- House plants with particular air-purifying qualities, like pathos, philodendron and spider plants.
- Miniature azaleas, rose bushes, hibiscus, Christmas cactus or holly.
- A set of seed packets for the vegetable or flower garden.
- A gift certificate for plants or seeds from a gardening supply catalogue or shop.
- Landscape plants native to your region of the country.
- A basketful of tulip, daffodil and crocus bulbs.
Wrap It Up!How about these options for wrapping your presents this year?
- The Sunday color comics, especially for kids!
- Wrap made from recycled papers, now widely available in card shops and eco-catalogues.
- Large scarves, colorful handkerchiefs, or towels (they can be part of the present).
- Baskets with bows or reusable tins.
Go Live!Why not consider planting a living tree for the holidays?
- Choose a healthy tree whose roots are balled and wrapped in burlap.
- Keep the tree outside until you're ready to bring it in for decoration.
- Make sure the tree remains well-watered.
- Keep the tree inside for no more than a week.
- Transplant the tree into a hole prepared before the ground froze.
- Plant the tree with plenty of organic matter; mulch and water well.
Remember: If you opt for the traditional tree instead of a live one, make sure to recycle it when the holiday is over.
- Put the tree in a corner of your backyard, where it can become habitat for squirrels, birds, and other local wildlife.
- Trim off the branches and use them for mulch under acid-loving bushes and shrubs.
- Participate in local tree recycling programs.
- Chop the tree trunk into pieces that can be converted into firewood.
Other Festive Tips...
- Recycle last year's cards into this year's gift tags. Use serrated scissors to cut the front of the card into appealing shapes and sizes.
- Make sure this year's cards are made from recycled paper.
- Put E-mail to work and send paper-free electronic greeting cards.
Written By: Earth Share
Shop by Keywords Above or by Categories Below.
|CLEANING PRODUCTS||CLOTHING||COMPUTER PRODUCTS|
|ECO KIDS||ECO TRAVEL||EDUCATION|
|ENERGY CONSERVATION||ENERGY EFFICIENT HOMES||ENGINEERING|
|NATURAL PEST CONTROL||NEW AGE||OFFICE|
|PROMOTIONAL RESOURCES||RECYCLED||SAFE ENVIRONMENTS|
|WHOLESALE||WOOD||HOW TO ADVERTISE|
|* * * IN-HOUSE RESOURCES * * *|
|WHAT'S NEW||ACTIVISM ALERTS||DAILY ECO NEWS|
|LOCAL RESOURCES DATABASE||ASK THE EXPERTS||ECO CHAT|
|ECO FORUMS||ARTICLES||ECO QUOTES|
|INTERVIEWS & SPEECHES||NON-PROFIT GROUPS||ECO LINKS|
|KIDS LINKS||RENEWABLE ENERGY||GOVERNMENT/EDUCATION|
|VEGGIE RESTAURANTS||ECO AUDIO/VIDEO||EVENTS|
|COMMUNICATIONS||WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING||ACCOLADES|