THE AMAZING AMLA BERRY
Of all the rasayanas -- ayurvedic formulations revered for their positiveinfluence on the overall physiology -- Amalaki is considered one of the mostpotent and nourishing. The Charaka Samhita says, "Amalaki is the best amongrejuvenative herbs."
The Amalaki is a moderate-size deciduous tree with gray bark and reddishwood that grows in the tropical subcontinent of India. All parts of theplant are used in various ayurvedic herbal preparations, including thefruit, seed, leaves, root, bark and flowers.
While the fresh Amalaki fruit is used to make chutneys and relishes inIndia, the Amla-Berry tablets from Maharishi Ayurveda are a convenient wayto enjoy the healing benefits of this remarkable fruit no matter where youlive. The tablets contain only Amalaki.
Wide Range of Benefits
There are many benefits that Amalaki imparts that are mentioned in ayurvedictexts. Let me list some of them:
1. Excellent source of Vitamin C. Amalaki is the most concentrated form ofVitamin C found in the plant kingdom, and when the whole fruit is usedrather than an active ingredient, the Vitamin C is easily assimilated by thehuman body. The Vitamin C in the Amalaki fruit is bonded with tannins thatprotect it from being destroyed by heat or light.
2. Enhances food absorption. The regular use of Amla-Berry tablets canstrengthen digestion, absorption and assimilation of food. People taking itnotice that they enjoy the taste of food better. It enhances all thirteendigestive fires (agni). But it works more slowly and gently than ginger orother digestion-enhancing herbs, so it can be taken by people with a lot ofPitta without fear of creating excess stomach acid. In addition, it improvesassimilation of iron for healthy blood.
3. Balances stomach acids. Because it improves digestion but does not heatthe body, Amla-Berry is ideal for calming mild to moderate hyperacidity andother Pitta-related digestive problems. It should always be taken with foodin this case.
4. Fortifies the liver. Amla-Berry helps purify the Rasa Dhatu (nutrientfluid) and Rakta Dhatu (blood), thus supporting the functions of the liver.It also strengthens the liver, helping it in eliminating toxins from thebody. Research shows that Amalaki helps lower cholesterol.
5. Nourishes the brain and mental functioning. Amla-Berry is good for thebrain. It is medhya--nurturing for the mind and enhancing coordination amongdhi (acquisition), dhriti (retention), and smriti (recall). It helpssharpen the intellect and mental functioning. It supports the nervous systemand strengthens the senses.
6. Supports the heart. It is hridya, which means it nurtures the heart,blood and circulation. It supports the cardiovascular system. On the otherhand, it sometimes acts as a cardiac stimulant. For this reason, if you havea heart condition, you should check with a medical doctor before usingAmla-Berry tablets.
7. Strengthens the lungs. The Amla-Berry tablets help pacify Kapha dosha aswell. Therefore, Amla-Berry is a wonderful tonic for strengthening andnourishing the lungs (which are a major seat of Kapha dosha in the body),and the entire respiratory tract. It also pacifies Shleshaka Kapha, whichamong other things governs moisture balance in the lungs.
8. Regulates elimination. Amla-Berry tablets pacify Apana Vata, thus helpingwith the downward flow of energy in the body. They keep the function ofelimination regular and ease constipation.
9. Enhances fertility. By balancing Apana Vata and by nurturing all thedhatus (body tissues), Amla-Berry also keeps menstruation regular andhealthy. Amla-Berry supports the reproductive systems of both men and womenand can help overcome difficulty in conceiving. It is a vrishya herb, whichmeans that it enhances all the seven tissues (dhatus), including thereproductive tissue. This herb nurtures the ovaries and sperm, and it has aproperty called garbhasthapana, which means it enhances fertility and thepossibility of conception. It is especially nurturing for women,strengthening the uterus and supporting reproductive health.
10. Helps the urinary system. Because it enhances all the thirteen agnis(digestive fires) and supports Apana Vata, Amla-Berry is especiallysupportive to the urinary system and can be helpful if you experience a mildburning sensation while urinating. It supports natural diuretic action, butdoes not force water from the body like diuretic pills. In other words, ithelps eliminate waste from the body but does not over-stimulate the urinarysystem.
11. Good for the skin. Because Amla-Berry strengthens digestion, helps theliver detoxify and is rich in Vitamin C and other minerals, it is very goodfor the complexion. Amla-Berry moisturizes the skin, cleanses the tissues oftoxins, and supports immunity of the skin against bacterial infection. Ithelps enhance glow and luster.
12. Promotes healthier hair. Amla-Berry boosts absorption of calcium, thuscreating healthier bones, teeth, nails and hair. It also helps maintainyouthful hair color and retards premature graying, and supports the strengthof the hair follicles, so there is less thinning with age.
13. Acts as a body coolant. Although Amla-Berry is good for all doshas andseasons, it is especially effective in the hot season to cool Pitta dosha.It is an especially good rasayana for people with Pitta and Vata body types.
14. Flushes out toxins. Individuals who have been eating "junk" food for awhile tend to have accumulated deposits of preservatives and additives inthe liver. Amla-Berry helps support the liver in flushing out chemicals andadditives from the physiology.
15. Increases vitality. Because it has five tastes and supports all thedoshas and many body functions and cleanses the blood and the microchannelsof the body, Amla-Berry increases energy and removes fatigue. It supportsregeneration of cells-the process by which tired old cells are replaced byvital, new ones.
16. Strengthens the eyes. Amla-Berry is called chakshushya, which means"strengthening the eyes"-(Chakshu means "eye" and ayushya means "rasayana"so it is literally a "rasayana for the eyes"). It supports the health of theeye by enhancing both Ranjaka Pitta (the subdosha of Pitta that governsliver function and the blood plasma) and Alochaka Pitta (the subdosha ofPitta that governs the eyes and vision). The tridoshic nature of Amalakialso makes it a good tonic for the eyes.
17. Improves muscle tone. Amla-Berry enhances protein synthesis, which iswhy it is good for strengthening muscles and building lean muscle mass. Itsunique ayurvedic action offers athletes and body-builders a natural way totone muscles and build lean mass.
18. Acts as an antioxidant. Amla-Berry tablets and other rasayanas thatcontain Amalaki are effective broad-spectrum antioxidants and free radicalscavengers, helping to reduce disease and slow the aging process.
19. Enhances immunity. All of the benefits already mentioned make Amla-Berrya strong immunity booster.
Processing for Potency
Amalaki fruit requires a meticulous 21-step process at low heat to maintainpotency of the vitamins and minerals as well as the biological intelligenceof this remarkable plant.
The processing method makes the Amla-Berry tablets many times more powerfulthan the simple fruit or fruit powder. The traditional ayurvedic processingenhances its potency and increases the natural intelligence of the fruit,without destroying or disturbing any of its delicate qualities.
Note - This ayurvedic information is education, and is not intended toreplace standard medical care or advice.
Shop by Keywords Above or by Categories Below.
|CLEANING PRODUCTS||CLOTHING||COMPUTER PRODUCTS|
|ECO KIDS||ECO TRAVEL||EDUCATION|
|ENERGY CONSERVATION||ENERGY EFFICIENT HOMES||ENGINEERING|
|NATURAL PEST CONTROL||NEW AGE||OFFICE|
|PROMOTIONAL RESOURCES||RECYCLED||SAFE ENVIRONMENTS|
|WHOLESALE||WOOD||HOW TO ADVERTISE|
|* * * IN-HOUSE RESOURCES * * *|
|WHAT'S NEW||ACTIVISM ALERTS||DAILY ECO NEWS|
|LOCAL RESOURCES DATABASE||ASK THE EXPERTS||ECO CHAT|
|ECO FORUMS||ARTICLES||ECO QUOTES|
|INTERVIEWS & SPEECHES||NON-PROFIT GROUPS||ECO LINKS|
|KIDS LINKS||RENEWABLE ENERGY||GOVERNMENT/EDUCATION|
|VEGGIE RESTAURANTS||ECO AUDIO/VIDEO||EVENTS|
|COMMUNICATIONS||WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING||ACCOLADES|