TIPS FOR RAISING
YOUR CHILD NATURALLY
We as parents should be concered about the many harmful chemicals that our children arebeing exposed to. They are in body care, clothing, disposable diapers and many other products that are children are in constant contact with. Many parents want more information so they can raise their children as naturally and chemical free as possible!
First, remember that our skin absorbs everything it comes in contact with! So, All those chemicals in our body care, clothing, diapers, etc., are getting into our bodies!
Next, start reading ingredients and labels. Make this a constant habit! It is theonly way you will know what is going next to you and your children's skin.
Finally, get educated on what ingredients and chemicals to avoid!
Below is a list of some products followed by a list of harmful ingredients that may be in them.Most of these items are used on most children (and adults) on a daily baisis.Next, we offer some alternative choices you may wish to consider!
Lotions, Shampoos, Soaps, Baby Wipes and Toothpaste (personal care products):Look for a stay away from preservatives (2-bromo-2-nitropropane-1 , 3-diolalso known as Bronopol). Cocamide DEA or Cocamide Diethanolamine whichhas the potiential to form carcinogenic nitrosamines and can cause skin irritation!Colors and Dyes (also labeled as FD&C or D&C followed by a color and a number), these are believed to be cancer causing. Formaldehydesand artificial fragrances may cause allergies, skin irritation, headaches and nausea.Parabens (also labeled as butylparaben, ethylparaben, methylparaben & proplyparaben),Reported to be toxic. Sodium Laureth Sulfate (also labeled as sodium lauryl sulfate, sodium laurel sulfate, sodium dodecyl sulfate) - it is toxic and studies have shown eye, heart, liver and brain penetration. The FDAreported that levels of dioxin formation in products containing sodium laureth sulfate were unacceptable. Propylene Glycolis reported to cause allergies, contact dermatis, kidney and liver damage (used in baby wipes and lotions).* Please, go to your current body care products and look for these harmful ingredients!
* Alternative Choices: Look for natural and simple ingredients. For example: WeledaCalendula Baby Cream contains (peanut oil, water, beeswax, lanolin, cetearyl alcohol(an emulsifying wax), calendula officinalis extract, rose moroc, geranium oil, bergamot oil. If you can'tpronounce it or don't have a clue what it is, stay away from it!
Regular Cotton Clothing, Towels, Blankets and other Cloth Items:Regular cotton contains very harmful pesticides, herbicides and defoliants.These chemicals cause cancer, brain and fetal damage, impotence, sterility, birth defects,tumurs, bone marrow, kidney, liver and testicular damage. Cotton field workers and nearby residents have had serious illnesses from being exposed to these chemicals. Other man made fabrics also contain harmful chemicals. Most all fabrics contain harmful syntheticdyes and fixes, formaldehydes, moth proofing other harmful chemicals. Many infant/toddler clothing is also treated with Flame Retardants, which have been proven to be mutagenic and carcinogenic to animals.
* Alternative Choices: Buy Organic Cotton Products - They contain no pesticides, herbicides or defoliants asthe cotton is grown in the fields. Organic Cotton is not treated with flame retardants or other harmful chemicals.
* Disposable Diapers:Disposable diapers contain Dioxins which have been proven to cause cancer, geneticdamage in lab animals, liver disease and immune system suppession. Many disposable diapers also contain SodiumPolyacrylate, which is a super absorbentchemical that holds the fluid in the diaper. Sodium polyacrylate looks like small beadsof clear gel and stick to baby's skin when the diaper gets very wet. This chemicalis know to cause toxic shock syndrome and very bad skin allergies. There were twoarticles released this past year about disposables. One stated disposables were causing asthma in infants. The other stated disposable diapers may be causing male infertility.
* Alternative Choices: Use a cloth diaper system - they are so easy now! No pins (velcro and snap closures). Easy to use and easy to wash. There are even diapers made of Organic Cotton.
* Toys:Many toys are made with hazaradous products. In May of 1988, Greenpeace uncoverd documents revealing that the US Goverment was pressuring the European Union (EU)not to restrict the sale of toxic children's products. Memos showed that Mattel and Exxonworked with the Clinton Administration to derail these restrictions on soft vinyl toys.Please be especially careful when purchasing rattles, teethers and any vinyl toys whichwill probably end up in your child's mouth. Softening agents called phthalates can beingested by your child when in bites, sucks or chews on vinyl toys.
* Alternative Choices: Buy organic cotton stuffed toys. They are made and stuffed with 100% organic cotton. Also, wooden rattles and toys are great. If buying wooden ratttles and toys for an infant, I would stick with natural wood (not colored). If your child is teething give him/her a wetorganic terry washcloth to chew on.
We hope this brief overview will help lead you into the right direction to raise your childmore naturally! Make an effort to get educated, read labels and buy more healthy products! Isn't it time we start lettingfarmers and manufactures know that we prefer chemical free products and a chemical free enviorment. Your child (ren) andour Earth are both precious gifts. Let's protect them from these harmful chemicals!
Shop by Keywords Above or by Categories Below.
|CLEANING PRODUCTS||CLOTHING||COMPUTER PRODUCTS|
|ECO KIDS||ECO TRAVEL||EDUCATION|
|ENERGY CONSERVATION||ENERGY EFFICIENT HOMES||ENGINEERING|
|NATURAL PEST CONTROL||NEW AGE||OFFICE|
|PROMOTIONAL RESOURCES||RECYCLED||SAFE ENVIRONMENTS|
|WHOLESALE||WOOD||HOW TO ADVERTISE|
|* * * IN-HOUSE RESOURCES * * *|
|WHAT'S NEW||ACTIVISM ALERTS||DAILY ECO NEWS|
|LOCAL RESOURCES DATABASE||ASK THE EXPERTS||ECO CHAT|
|ECO FORUMS||ARTICLES||ECO QUOTES|
|INTERVIEWS & SPEECHES||NON-PROFIT GROUPS||ECO LINKS|
|KIDS LINKS||RENEWABLE ENERGY||GOVERNMENT/EDUCATION|
|VEGGIE RESTAURANTS||ECO AUDIO/VIDEO||EVENTS|
|COMMUNICATIONS||WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING||ACCOLADES|