In the North American colonies, hemp quickly became an indispensable raw material. Many of the American colonists’ Bibles and maps were printed on hemp paper, and much of their lamp oil came from pressed hemp seeds. All the early American flags were made with hemp. Hemp production was so important to commerce, that in 1640, the Governor of Connecticut declared that every citizen must grow hemp.
America’s founding fathers were strong advocates of a hemp-based economy for their new country. In fact, George Washington and Thomas Jefferson were themselves long-time hemp farmers - the first two drafts of the Declaration of Independence were written on hemp paper. The Daughters of the American Revolution sewed hemp linens for the Continental Army, without which more Revolutionary soldiers might have frozen to death at the battle of Valley Forge. Hemp rope was used to rig the Early American Navy and Merchant Marine ships.
* TREES SAVED
An article in California’s most conservative newspaper, The Orange County Register, stated that "Since 1937, about half the forests in the world have been cut down to make paper. If hemp had not been outlawed, most would still be standing, oxygenating the planet."
* BILLION-DOLLAR CROP
In 1938, Popular Mechanics Magazine published the article "New Billion-Dollar Crop", which informed readers: "Hemp is the standard fiber of the world. It has great tensile strength and durability. It is used to produce more than 5,000 textile products ranging from rope to fine laces. The woody hurds can be used to produce more than 25,000 products, ranging from dynamite to cellophane. It can be grown in any state of the Union."
ADVANTAGES OF THC:
- Natural Pesticide: THC, both chemically and physically, has been noted to repel pests.
- UV-B absorption: THC has the ability to absorb ultraviolet radiation. This may prove to play an important adaptive role given Earth’s thinning ozone layer.
- Environmental Stresses: THC levels are usually higher with water deprivation and when hemp is in greater competition with weeds.
- Natural Fungicide : THC is in its greatest concentrations around the seeds which may indicate that it plays an important role in stopping rotting.
- Henry Ford introduced an automobile that ran on fuels derived from hemp and other agricultural-based sources. Even the fenders were made of hemp, wheat, straw, and synthetic plastics. Ford said his vision was *to grow automobiles from the soil.*
- The following countries have started growing INDUSTRIAL hemp: Canada, England, France, Germany, Holland, Hungary, India, Poland, Romania, Russia, Ukraine and Australia will soon start after some initial test plots.
Shop by Keywords Above or by Categories Below.
|CLEANING PRODUCTS||CLOTHING||COMPUTER PRODUCTS|
|ECO KIDS||ECO TRAVEL||EDUCATION|
|ENERGY CONSERVATION||ENERGY EFFICIENT HOMES||ENGINEERING|
|NATURAL PEST CONTROL||NEW AGE||OFFICE|
|PROMOTIONAL RESOURCES||RECYCLED||SAFE ENVIRONMENTS|
|WHOLESALE||WOOD||HOW TO ADVERTISE|
|* * * IN-HOUSE RESOURCES * * *|
|WHAT'S NEW||ACTIVISM ALERTS||DAILY ECO NEWS|
|LOCAL RESOURCES DATABASE||ASK THE EXPERTS||ECO CHAT|
|ECO FORUMS||ARTICLES||ECO QUOTES|
|INTERVIEWS & SPEECHES||NON-PROFIT GROUPS||ECO LINKS|
|KIDS LINKS||RENEWABLE ENERGY||GOVERNMENT/EDUCATION|
|VEGGIE RESTAURANTS||ECO AUDIO/VIDEO||EVENTS|
|COMMUNICATIONS||WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING||ACCOLADES|