Harmful chemicals are released into your environment when regular cleaning products are used!
The EPA estimated that the fumes produced by common household cleaners were three times more likely to cause cancer than other air pollutants.
A study published in the American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine found that exposure to cleaning products accounts for 15 percent of all asthma cases.
Cleaning products can be among the most hazardous chemicals in your home or office and are therefore regulated by the Consumer Product Safety Commission. These products create hazardous waste -- threatening human health and the natural environment. Borax, ammonia and baking soda are safe alternatives that can clean and disinfect to meet hospital standards and are much cheaper than name brand cleaners. There are many green products available that are just as effective as traditional ones.
- Choose products that are biodegradable and non toxic to humans and aquatic life.
- Choose concentrated products, and be sure that they can work in cold water.
- Choose products with VOC concentrations of less than 10% of the weight of the products when diluted for use as directed.
- Choose products with a neutral pH.
- Choose products in recycled, recyclable and refillable containers and packaging.
- Avoid petroleum-derived ingredients. Instead choose surfactants derived from vegetable oil. Look for d-limonene and pine oil solvents.
- Avoid containing EDTA and NTA. Look for alternatives with sodium citrate, sodium bicarbonate, sodium carbonate, and sodium silicate.
- Avoid phosphates, Choose products with a phosphate concentration of 0.5% or less by weight.
- Avoid products containing chlorine bleach or sodium hypochlorite.
|CLEANING PRODUCTS||CLOTHING||COMPUTER PRODUCTS|
|ECO KIDS||ECO TRAVEL||EDUCATION|
|ENERGY CONSERVATION||ENERGY EFFICIENT HOMES||ENGINEERING|
|NATURAL PEST CONTROL||NEW AGE||OFFICE|
|PROMOTIONAL RESOURCES||RECYCLED||SAFE ENVIRONMENTS|
|WHOLESALE||WOOD||HOW TO ADVERTISE|
|WHAT'S NEW||ACTIVISM ALERTS||DAILY ECO NEWS|
|LOCAL RESOURCES DATABASE||ASK THE EXPERTS||ECO CHAT|
|ECO FORUMS||ARTICLES||ECO QUOTES|
|INTERVIEWS & SPEECHES||NON-PROFIT GROUPS||ECO LINKS|
|KIDS LINKS||RENEWABLE ENERGY||GOVERNMENT/EDUCATION|
|VEGGIE RESTAURANTS||ECO AUDIO/VIDEO||EVENTS|
|COMMUNICATIONS||WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING||ACCOLADES|