- 1.6 gallon per flush toilets—powerflush (air bladder styles) are preferred.
- Dual flush toilets are available whereby liquid waste takes one flush(less water) and solid waste another.
- If not the above, conventional toilets may be modified for water saving with some of the following:
- Flappers that adapt to smaller than 3.5 gallons per flush.
- Toilet banks and toilet dams to displace normal amount of tank water capacity.
- Compost toilets are available but more for off site cabins etc.
- 1.5 gallon per minute (1 gpm are available but that is not much water really) are available in massage style as well as straight spray
- Models with drip style temporary shutoffs are available.
- A family of four really needs a hands free(electronic) faucet in the kids bath--they do not look as clinical as before and are available in special finishes for a look any lady will enjoy.
- Pedal valves in the kitchen are nice to allow hands free. movement (available in finishes).
- .5 gallon per minute aerators can be put on non hands free faucets.
- Garage and outdoor faucets should be self or slow closing so they shutoff after 1 minute of use.
- Of course solar water heating is preferred and there are state and USA contributions available now through tax relief.
- If not the above consider instantaneous water heating either whole house (gas is preferred and rebates available) or point of use such as the favorite bath in the house.
- If not any of the above a recirculating pump at the farthest faucet. from the conventional water heater should be used
- Experts conflict on whether a water heater blanket really saves on a conventional water heater.
Of course all appliances using water ie dishwasher, clothes washer should be Energy Star brands--there are even more efficient models available but there is a cost difference.
Showering and water heater expense are the 2 largest consumers of water and plumbing costs so those should be attacked first.
|CLEANING PRODUCTS||CLOTHING||COMPUTER PRODUCTS|
|ECO KIDS||ECO TRAVEL||EDUCATION|
|ENERGY CONSERVATION||ENERGY EFFICIENT HOMES||ENGINEERING|
|NATURAL PEST CONTROL||NEW AGE||OFFICE|
|PROMOTIONAL RESOURCES||RECYCLED||SAFE ENVIRONMENTS|
|WHOLESALE||WOOD||HOW TO ADVERTISE|
|* * * IN-HOUSE RESOURCES * * *|
|WHAT'S NEW||ACTIVISM ALERTS||DAILY ECO NEWS|
|LOCAL RESOURCES DATABASE||ASK THE EXPERTS||ECO CHAT|
|ECO FORUMS||ARTICLES||ECO QUOTES|
|INTERVIEWS & SPEECHES||NON-PROFIT GROUPS||ECO LINKS|
|KIDS LINKS||RENEWABLE ENERGY||GOVERNMENT/EDUCATION|
|VEGGIE RESTAURANTS||ECO AUDIO/VIDEO||EVENTS|
|COMMUNICATIONS||WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING||ACCOLADES|