GREEN LIVING TIPS
Green Tips For Shopping
- Plan your shopping to save fuel and time. Do all your errands in one trip, walk if possible to avoid driving and traffic congestion, thus reducing air pollution.
- Plan your shopping list to avoid buying on impulse, which normally contribute to household waste.
- Instead of ending up with many plastic bags, bring your own shopping bag to hold smaller items. This eliminates unnecessary consumption and reduces waste.
- Buy cadmium free rechargeable batteries for flash lights, toys and household items.
- Do not buy products which are made from endangered/ endemic species of animals or plants.
- Select CFC-free environment- friendly or energy efficient appliances - CFC can damage the ozone layer and cause global warming.
- When you order a take away, bring your tiffin carrier or reusable container. This helps to reduce non-biodegradable Styrofoam packaging.
- Select product with less packaging. More packaging means more solid wastes. Buying in bulk is cheaper and saves packaging. Buy refillable items.
- Buy second-hand goods, such as books, furniture, cooking utensils, etc. This is a form of reuse.
Green Tips At Home
- Use the washing machine when you have full load. This saves energy and water. You can also use the run-off water to wash the floor.
- Save energy by using proper size of pans to cook your food. Covering with a lid also save energy.
- Cut energy consumption by using electrical appliances that are energy efficient. Switch off when not in use. Solar water heater is the best choice.
- Fill the sink with water to wash vegetables or dishes. By doing this you can save 15 times of water when compared to doing it under a running tap.
- When brushing your teeth, use water in a container instead of from a running tap. Use a tumbler of water and save liters.
- Take shower instead of bathing using bathtub. Install dual-action flush in your toilet. This can reduce water consumption.
- Washing car with a hose wastes a lot of water, wash your car with water in a pail.
- Support and promote local recycling programmes. Recycle your trash as much as possible.
- Use cloth towels to wipe kitchen work tables and counters instead of using paper towels. Cloth towels can be reused.
Green Tips At School
- Plant trees in the school garden. They help to beautify the school compound. Trees also take in carbon dioxide and give out oxygen.
- Use the recycle bins. Sort out your waste like paper, beverage packages; cans, glass and plastic.
- Keep the school compound clean by using the litter bins. Let the habit grow in our community.
- Use ordinary paper clips instead of colour paper clips which cause cadmium poisoning.
- Buy your writing materials made of recycled paper. This helps to reduce the number of trees cut to produce paper.
- Reduce paper consumption by using both sides. Reduce waste by using fountain pen and mechanical pencil.
- Better rely on natural lighting. Leave windows open and switch off the lights and fan which are not in use. This can reduce energy consumption.
- Switch to solar powered calculators. This helps to save energy.
- Use handkerchief instead of tissue paper. This can cut down waste and save energy.
Written by: Department of Environment, Malaysia
| * * * IN-HOUSE RESOURCES * * *|